Think Before You Throw


Welcome to the frequently asked questions page. If you don't find what you're looking for please contact us.

Who can take material to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility?

All residents from the Greater Avalon Peninsula. It is not for private business or other organizations. These groups are required to arrange to have a licensed hauler remove hazardous chemicals from their work sites. If you are a business and would like to get more information on how to dispose of hazardous chemicals, please contact the City of St. John's at 3-1-1.

Why do I have to wait in line?

It is important that HHW is collected in an organized manner. Materials have to be first sorted and identified by a qualified individual and placed in a particular category. If certain HHW are mixed or able to come in contact with one another there could be potential for negative reactions. Please be patient.

What Happens at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility?

At the facility, a professional hazardous waste handler will accept your material. After the materials are collected, they are sorted and put in special containers. These containers are transported to facilities where the materials can be recycled or disposed of properly.

What Should I Do With My Household Hazardous Materials?

Use it Up. If you fully use the product for its intended use, there is no need for disposal. If you cannot use all of the product, give what is leftover to a friend, neighbor, relative, or community organization. For the future, try to use alternative products or only purchase what is needed.

Recycle and Recover the Waste. Many household hazardous materials such as motor oil, antifreeze, and automobile batteries can be recycled. Other materials such as useable, latex paint can be recovered and used by others. In Newfoundland and Labrador you can return used lubricating, crankcase, and gear oil, and transmission fluid. Consumers can bring used lubricating oil to a return facility or point of purchase, free of charge.

Dry the Material. Car wax and oil-based or unusable paint can be dried, if the quantity is small. After air-drying these types of products, double wrap the container in newspaper and throw it out in the regular trash or save it and bring it to one of our special collection days.

Bring the Material to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at the Robin Hood Bay Landfill 340 White Hills Road. The facility is open 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. every Saturday from August 15 through to December 19, 2009. In most cases, it is best to store the materials in the original container in a safe, dry place until it can be disposed of properly.

Why can’t I put my chemicals in with my regular garbage?

The waste from households collected at curbside is loaded onto a truck where it is compacted immediately. If a hazardous substance is leaked it may ignite or explode in the collection truck causing injury or affecting the health and safety of the collectors. If a hazardous chemical reaches the landfill it can find it's way into ground water, into streams, ponds or the ocean.

What is the safest way to transport waste from my home?

  • Use gloves when handling hazardous chemicals.
  • Keep chemicals in their original containers.
  • Ensure containers are clearly labeled and well sealed. Attach your own label if the label has fallen off. Only label the container if you are sure of the name of the chemical. Do not guess.
  • Do not mix chemicals. Apart from making disposal difficult you will increase the risk of being exposed to the chemical and in extreme cases mixing of incompatible chemicals can lead to violent chemical reaction such as fire or explosion.
  • Transport in the trunk of your vehicle or preferably in the back of a truck or trailer.
  • Do not transport in the passenger compartment a fallen or leaking container may fill the interior with dangerous vapour.
  • Travel with your car windows down if carrying flammable or odorous materials.
  • Secure containers so they don't fall over or leak. Ensure lids are tightly fitted. Place containers of liquids in a tray or plastic bucket so they do not spill or fall over. Pack powders and solids securely.
  • Keep corrosive chemicals, such as battery acid, away from poisons. Keep oxidizing agents, such as peroxide, away from all other materials.
  • Avoid transporting open or leaking containers. Put into another container and make sure you label it. Moving corroded chemical containers could result in contamination of you, the storage area or your vehicle.
  • A potential leaky container can be placed into another container, such as a plastic bucket.
  • Don't forget to label it where possible.
  • Don't transport you chemicals with passengers, food, consumer goods or pets.

What type of waste materials ARE NOT accepted at the HHW Facility?

  • Empty Paint Cans - these are for your regular garbage collection
  • PCB's
  • Biomedical
  • Tires
  • Explosives
  • Ammunition
  • Fireworks
  • Radioactive Waste
  • Industrial, Commercial & Institutional Waste

What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Household Hazardous Wastes (HHW) are the left-over products from hazardous products used in the home. Some of these wastes exhibit poisonous, combustible, explosive and/or flammable properties. When compared with other types of wastes, HHW are a small component of the waste stream.

What types of waste materials are accepted at the HHW Facility?

  • Motor oils, Pool Chemicals, Gasoline
  • Glues, Pesticides, Solvents
  • BBQ Starter, Batteries, Nail Polish
  • Propane Tanks, Paints, Fire Extinguishers
  • Paint Strippers, Cleaners, Disinfectants
  • Car Fluids, Lighter Fluids, Aerosol Containers
  • Fluorescent Light Tubes, Mercury Prescription Drugs
  • Compact Fluorescent Lights - energy saving bulbs

How are fees charged for Waste Management services?

The Eastern Regional Service Board has established an annual fee of $180.00 for all properties in the service area to access the new regional waste management system. The fee is a combination of the tipping fee for disposal at Robin Hood Bay, the cost of curbside collection and a small administrative component. Please visit for more information.