NOTICE TO RESIDENTS
Eastern Regional Service Board (Eastern Waste Management) will begin curbside waste and recycling collection on Bell Island (Wabana, Lance Cove and Freshwater) during the first week of July. The Wabana Landfill will close on July 1, 2018 and the first curbside collection by the Board will take place on Friday, July 6, 2018. The curbside waste and recycling collection schedule, as well as other important information is contained below.
Click HERE for the newly posted 2018 waste and recycling collection schedule.
Curbside waste and recycling collection takes place on Bell Island on Fridays. Please monitor this website, local media, and/or twitter (https://twitter.com/Eastern_Waste) for service updates.
Curbside Collection Information
We provide weekly curbside/roadside garbage collection to local communities. Please follow the guidelines below when preparing your garbage for collection.
- Local bag limits are in place as indicated on your calendar enclosed.
- Garbage must be in regular size (66 cm x 82.5 cm) garbage bags (kitchen catchers or supermarket-sized bags are not acceptable).
- Use transparent blue bags for recycling only.
- A garbage bag should weigh no more than 22 kg or 50 lbs.
- BROKEN GLASS, SHARPS, KNIVES can injure collectors and must be placed in puncture-proof packaging and marked as “broken glass” or “sharps”.
- Syringes must be in puncture-proof packaging to go out with regular waste.
- Fish nets and rope will not be accepted.
- Bundled materials must be less than 1.5 metres (4 feet) in length.
- Household Hazardous Waste should not be with your household garbage.
- Use a garbage box or other covering if your town’s by-laws allow it.
- Containers of liquids will not be collected.
It’s important to note that waste that does not meet these requirements may be left behind. If you have waste left behind, check for an orange tag indicating the reason waste was left behind. Once waste meets requirements it will be removed on the following collection day.
Please do not leave any items not intended for waste collection near the garbage box or collection area. They may be collected as weekly or bulk waste.
Along with regular curbside pick-up, there are many other ways we help you manage your household waste. You have free access to Waste Recovery Facilities, Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection events and Residential Drop-Off sites across the Eastern region (not just the ones closest to your home or property). Below we’ve outlined each service’s information, and you’ll need to follow their guidelines to use them. And remember, we can’t accept any commercial waste at these facilities.
Waste Recovery Facilities
Our Waste Recovery Facilities accept bulk items such as:
- Construction and demolition materials
Placentia, St. Joseph’s, Bay Bulls, Renews-Cappahayden, Cavendish,
Harbour Grace, Old Perlican, Sunnyside, Clarenville, and Whitbourne.
Tuesday and Thursday Noon – 4 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Note: Residential Drop-Off Site at Robin Hood Bay is open Tuesday
to Saturday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. | Remember all our sites are closed on
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
There are two ways you can help keep Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) out of our landfills and protect our environment.
• HHW materials can be collected by your community. Once collected, bring them to Robin Hood Bay for proper disposal. Please call for prior approval.
• We also offer collection events across the region each year in cooperation with volunteer fire departments. Please check our website starting May 2018 for a list of upcoming HHW mobile
events close to you.
Annual Residential Fees
Annual fee: $180.00 per property/unit of service for direct waste collection and recycling services. The fee is in effect until December 31, 2018 and is applicable to all properties in the region.
Robin Hood Bay commercial fees:
- Landfill-bound materials: $67.60 per metric tonne
- Recyclable materials: $20.00 per metric tonne
Clarenville Transfer Station commercial fees:
- Landfill-bound materials: $87.60* per metric tonne
- Recyclable materials: $40.00* per metric tonne
*The additional $20.00 charge covers the cost to transport the material to the Robin Hood Bay facility.
To review the Eastern Regional Service Board 2018 budget, and to access additional information about what is accepted at each facility, please visit easternregionalserviceboard.com.
Should you have any questions or concerns about waste management in your area and its services, please email email@example.com.
The Bell Island region services the following communities:
Wabana, Lance Cove, Freshwater
Save this page for alerts and updates affecting your region.
Important Updates ↑↑
Notice of Service - Bell Island
Notice of Service - Bell Island
Eastern Regional Service Board (Eastern Waste Management) will begin curbside waste and recycling collection on Bell Island (Wabana, Lance Cove and Freshwater) during the first week of July. The Wabana Landfill will close on July 1, 2018 and the first curbside collection by the Board will take place on Friday, July 6, 2018. The curbside waste and recycling collection schedule, as well as other important information can be found at http://easternwaste.ca/regions/bell-island/.