Smith Sound and Area
A Waste Recovery Facility is located on the former Clarenville landfill site that accepts bulk household waste, such as appliances, furniture, mattresses, hot water tanks, electronics, metals, propane tanks, car and truck tires (rims removed), ATV and motorcycle tires, personal construction and demolition material, shingles, brush, etc. EWM will not accept anything that is recyclable or materials that decompose, including cardboard, clothing, food items, leaves, grass clippings, ash, or fish nets.
In addition to the Waste Recovery Facility in Clarenville, a Regional Waste Transfer Station is operational at the same location. This transfer station offers additional services, including acceptance of commercial waste from registered haulers. The application for a commercial waste disposal permit can be found HERE.
Wood chips are available to the public at some of the sites for pick up (free of charge). Supply is limited and will vary by site. Please check with the local Site Attendant for more information.
Information for Commercial Waste Haulers
Commercial waste will be accepted at the Clarenville Regional Waste Transfer Station. Commericla waste haulers are asked to please note the following important information:
- Permits are required from the Eastern Regional Service Board to access the Regional Waste Transfer Station. Permits must be permanently attached to vehicles.
- Vehicles will be weighed as they enter the facility and as they leave.
- The fee for residential waste is $87.60 per metric tonne and $40.00 per metric tonne for recyclables. Metals will be accepted free of charge. Other items may have to be taken directly to the Regional Waste Management Facility at Robin Hood Bay. Call EWM before traveling to the site to ensure the material being hauled will be accepted.
Hours of Operation
- Monday to Friday, 8:00AM-4:00PM (Residential bulk items only and Commercial)*
- Saturday, 8:00AM-4:00PM (Residential Bulk items Only)*
*Note: Gates will close 15 minutes before the facility closes.
NOTE: Info for Local Service Districts and Other Communities in Smith Sound Area
When looking up your community in the Find Your Region page on this website, the Local Service Districts (LSD) listed in bold below include information for other communities too. Here are the communities that are included in those LSD listings:
LSD of Smith Sound
Includes: Harcourt, Monroe, Gin Cove, Waterville, Barton
LSD of Random Sound West
Includes: North West Brook, Ivany’s Cove, Queen’s Cove, Hillview, Adeytown, Hatchet Cove, St. Jones Within
LSD of Random Island West
Includes: Random Heights, Elliott’s Cove, Snook’s Harbour, Aspen Brook, Weybridge, Lady Cove
The Smith Sound and Area region services the following communities:
Deep Bight, LSD of Random Sound West, North West Brook, Ivany’s Cove, Queen’s Cove, Hillview, Adeytown, Hatchet Cove, St. Jones Within, Hickman’s Harbour, Robinson’s Bight, Lower Lance Cove, Petley, LSD of Random Island West, Random Heights, Elliott’s Cove, Snook’s Harbour, Aspen Brook, Weybridge, Lady Cove, Britiannia, Burgoyne’s Cove, LSD of Smith Sound, Harcourt, Monroe, Gin Cove, Waterville, Barton
Save this page for alerts and updates affecting your region.